Cannabis, also known as marijuana or weed, has been increasing in popularity over the years. Although the use of marijuana was illegal not too long ago, it has undergone a massive shift in the last few years, with more people accepting the use of marijuana. In Canada, it became legal for people to use cannabis recreationally in just the last few years. Many other places around the world are also following suit.
There are hundreds of types, or strains, of marijuana available on the market today. And the number is only increasing as new strains are created. These strains, called hybrid or exotic cannabis, are created by crossing different strains to create new ones.
By doing this, breeders can create unique strains that appeal to more people. Breeders can create marijuana that offers the effects, taste, flavour, and medium users desire, effectively allowing users to customize their marijuana experience.
Reasons to Use Marijuana
There are many reasons people use marijuana. Physicians prescribe medical marijuana for patients who have certain medical issues. Many people use marijuana recreationally, as well. People may use it to enhance their lives, socialize with others, relax, and more.
Spotting the Difference Between Exotic Cannabis and Other Strains
Many factors set exotic cannabis apart from their more well-known and common counterparts, including:
- Name recognition. You will likely recognize the names of more common cannabis types. Exotic or new strains you may not recognize as easily. Many hybrid strains have names of desserts as part of the new strain’s name to appeal to more people.
- The perfect cure. Curing marijuana preserves the product and brings out and seals in the unique flavours associated with that strain. Growers need to ensure the bud is not too dry and not too wet.
- Have the right genetics. New cannabis strains are created from strong, already established buds. When growers create a new exotic cannabis strain, they should start with reputable seeds. They are the key to producing a unique, exotic, and delicious strain.
- They are exclusive. Exotic cannabis is only available from certain dispensaries and, sometimes, only at certain times.
Tips for Choosing the Right Strain for You
There are a wide variety of hybrid marijuana strains available. Before you decide which one to purchase, think about what you want and research the buds.
First, know what you want to accomplish with your marijuana consumption
Are you looking for something to help you relax? Something to give you a little more energy? Different strains of marijuana accomplish different goals. Indica strains offer soothing effects, while sativa offers more mental clarity. Since hybrid marijuana strains usually combine the two in some capacity, make sure you choose one that offers more of what you want. For example, you might want an indica-dominant strain versus a sativa-dominant one, or you might want a strain that is a 50/50 split. You should see the breakdown of indica/sativa when looking at the strain’s details.
Second, research the company you are considering buying from
There are many brands and marijuana dispensaries out there, but not all are created equal. To make sure you are purchasing from a reputable seller, take time to research the company, read product reviews, and check out how easy it is to contact them with questions or concerns. Make sure they accept payment using a method you have. If you are concerned about people knowing you are purchasing marijuana, see how it is delivered. Is it in discreet packaging?
Next, think about how you want to consume your marijuana
Though many people assume the only way to consume cannabis is by smoking it, some marijuana users do not wish to use this method. Other ways to consume marijuana include:
- Vaping. This discreet method of marijuana consumption is increasing in popularity. There are many different flavours of vape oil available to appeal to user preferences. Vape pens are usually discreet and easy to carry, making it possible for people to vape on the go and in public places.
- Edibles. With cannabis buds included in the product, edibles are available in many flavours, including brownies and cookies. Since these are consumed, no smoke is inhaled into the lungs, making them an appealing option for many people. These are one of the slower-acting options, so be sure to allow time for them to work.
- Gummies. Gummies come in many flavours, including mango, watermelon, green apple, and more. They are easy and sweet to eat, as well as fast-acting. Users should feel the effects of marijuana gummies within 20 minutes of eating them.
- Cannabis oil. These provide another way to take weed without smoking it. This is taken by placing a drop under the tongue. This method offers the quickest high since it is not subject to the digestive system.
Finally, choose your potency
If you are new to cannabis, you should start small. Choose one that has a lower potency and pace yourself, so you don’t overdo it. If you are not new to marijuana, choose the potency level you are comfortable with.
If you aren’t sure where to start, choose a low potency and only take a little. You can gradually increase the amount until you feel the desired effects. Make a note, so you know how much to take going forward.
Popular Hybrid Strains in Canada
New exotic marijuana strains are being created each year. That means the popularity of strains is constantly changing. In 2020, strains such as Maui Wowie, Black Tuna, and Atomic Bomb were among Canadians’ favourite cannabis options.
In previous years, Girl Scout Cookies, Bruce Banner, Headband, and Tom Ford were among the most popular hybrid weed strains.
Exotic cannabis strains are popular because they allow consumers to have a customized experience by choosing the taste and effects they want. Be sure to research the dispensary or seller before you buy so you can feel confident you are getting a high-quality product.