Marijuana products are available in many different forms. Users can, of course, use cannabis the traditional way, by smoking it. They can also turn to newer consumption methods such as vaping or using edibles.
Another option that many are turning to is cannabis products in pill form. These are available in both CBD and THC varieties, allowing users to choose the type of experience they’d like to have.
Below, we’ll dive into what THC pills are and why more and more people are starting to take them.
What Is THC?
Marijuana is made up of many different compounds called cannabinoids (over 100 of them, in fact). These compounds are what determine the specific effects a marijuana strain provides.
Of the more than 100 cannabinoids found in marijuana, the most prominent one is THC, also known as tetrahydrocannabinol.
THC is the compound responsible for the “high” feeling marijuana users experience. Although some people think it is the only benefit THC offers, recent studies suggest this is not the case. THC may also:
- Help improve mood
- Promote feelings of relaxation
- Improve user’s sleep
- Increase appetite
What Are THC Pills?
THC pills are just as their name describes: THC made available in pill form. These pills are made from natural cannabinoid extracts and can be found in capsule form or as compressed tablets.
There are three primary types of THC pills:
- Isolated THC pill. These contain only one cannabinoid, in this case, THC.
- Whole-plant THC. These contain other compounds from cannabis in addition to THC. They are often seen as the closest thing users can get to having an actual cannabis plant in pill form.
- Synthetic THC pills. These contain lab-made THC. This is not quite the same as organic THC, although it is similar.
Why Should I Use THC Pills?
There are many reasons people have started to use THC pills more frequently:
- They are a good alternative for people who cannot smoke due to lung issues or other illnesses. Users can get the effects of THC without the side effects from smoking they may have to deal with otherwise.
- They are discreet. Smoking marijuana produces a very distinct smell that will clue everyone around you that you are using marijuana. Pills have no odor, allowing people to take them without anyone around them even knowing.
- They are portable. If you are traveling or on the go, tossing your THC pills in your bag is easy. You don’t have to worry about carrying equipment around or getting somewhere only to find you forgot to bring your vape cartridges, in addition to your vape pen.
- They are extremely potent. While cannabis strains with high THC content are fantastic on their own, taking THC pills is much more effective than smoking or even vaping marijuana. That’s because of the way the body processes them.
- They are long-lasting. THC pills (and edibles in general) traditionally offer a longer-lasting experience than smoking. Although they can take about 30 minutes to an hour to go into effect, the high will last much longer—up to eight hours in some cases. This gives users the most bang for their buck and is ideal for people who use THC for issues such as relaxation during the day or sleeping at night.
How to Take THC Pills
Ingesting THC pills is not that different than taking regular pills. You’ll just need to purchase pills in the dosage you require and then swallow the pill with a drink of water.
Keep in mind; you will not feel the effects of your THC pills immediately. You will need to allow time for the body to digest the pill before it takes effect.
What THC Pill Dosage Is Right for Me
THC pills can be found in many sizes. You may find a 5 mg pill, 10 mg pill, or something in between. The size that will be best for you will depend on a few factors, including:
- Your tolerance and experience with THC and cannabis in general
- The intensity of the high you hope to experience
The first time you use THC pills, it is best to start with a low dose. Allow time for it to take effect; at that point, you can either take another pill or up your dosage the next day. You must give the pill time to work its magic before taking more. You should wait at least two hours before ingesting additional THC.
Once you’ve reached your desired results, you’ll know what dosage will be right for you going forward.
Can I Overdose on THC Pills?
While you can’t necessarily overdose on THC pills, you can overconsume THC. When you take too much THC, you can experience a stronger high than anticipated (which can be scary for some people) and experience adverse effects such as:
To avoid a potentially negative experience with your THC chill pills, start your dosage low and increase it slowly.
THC Pills: In Summary
THC pills are becoming an increasingly popular way for people to enjoy the experience and benefits THC has to offer. In addition to the high, many are turning to THC to help them relax, hence the slang name, “chill pills.”
THC pills are popular for many reasons. Not only are they discreet and easy to carry, but they are also very potent and offer users lasting effects. THC pills can stay in the system for a long time, which is why so many people have become intrigued by them.
When it comes to taking THC pills, the process is like taking a regular pill: swallow it down with water. But before taking your first dose, be sure you know how much THC is contained within the pill. Start with a low-dose THC pill and slowly increase it until you achieve your desired results.
As always, you can ask your THC pill retailer any questions you have before giving this marijuana product a try.