Magic mushrooms are often seen as a bit mysterious in the cannabis industry. However, most people are familiar with them and have seen them and their use depicted on television and in movies.
But people do not know what they can do, the benefits they offer, and even how to properly use them. In movies, characters will often eat raw mushrooms out of a bag. However, there are other, more appealing ways to consume magic mushrooms.
Let’s take a look at these almost mythical products.
What Are Magic Mushrooms?
Magic mushrooms, often called just “shrooms,” are just like the mushrooms found in nature and that we eat every day. You can find magic mushrooms in nature. But, shrooms contain one compound that makes them unique: psilocybin.
Psilocybin is a type of drug and is classified as a psychedelic substance or a hallucinogen. And, it is a quite powerful one at that.
Magic mushrooms are known for offering a diverse range of effects, and the experience you’ll have on shrooms will vary based on different factors such as:
- Your weight
- How much you take
- Your age
- Your prescriptions
- Your mental health
Even though your exact experience will vary, common effects caused by shrooms include:
- Euphoria and elevated mood
- Increased creativity
- Altered perception of oneself
- Increased sensitivity to stimuli such as light and sound
- Extreme relaxation
- A sense of peace
As you can see, some effects can be positive, which is why so many people are trying shrooms. Others may be a bit more negative, leading to a scary experience, often referred to as a “bad trip.”
The Shroom Experience
Before you take shrooms, it can be helpful to know what the experience will be like. This knowledge can help keep you calm and make your experience much more enjoyable.
After taking magic mushrooms, you should allow about 30 minutes before they start to take effect. This is because shrooms are ingested, and your body needs time to process them. The initial effects experienced at the onset will last a few hours. The sensations and outcomes that you experience will gradually increase over the next few hours before reaching their peak at about three to four hours after ingesting shrooms.
After this peak time, the effects will start to fade, and you’ll slowly return to normal. The entire experience can last up to six hours (or longer, depending on how much you take). Though your experiences may fade, keep in mind that shrooms will stay in your system for quite a while.
There are many ways users can ingest psilocybin mushrooms. You can choose the method that best meets your tastes and preferences. Common ways to consume magic mushrooms include:
- You can eat them raw. However, shrooms have a rubbery texture and unique taste that many people find off-putting. But many people don’t mind eating them raw.
- You can cook them. Users can chop shrooms up, add them to their favourite recipe, use them as a pizza topping, or add them into a sauce. This can help mask the shroom’s flavour and make it easier to eat.
- You can steep them into tea. This is an excellent option, and there are many shroom tea recipes out there. You can choose your favourite tea flavour and let the shrooms infuse your tea with their effects.
- Microdosing. This involves taking tiny amounts of shrooms. Shrooms in small doses are said to offer many benefits and help people get through their day.
- You can eat edibles. Like cannabis, shroom-infused treats like chocolate and gummies are pretty popular, satisfying your sweet tooth and your taste for shrooms.
Your First Shrooms Experience
In addition to determining how you want to consume your shrooms, preparing to use shrooms is an essential step in your magic mushrooms experience. Taking steps to prepare for your first shroom use can help ensure you have a positive experience. Here’s what you should do before using them:
- Make sure you are in the right headspace. If you struggle with PTSD, depression, or anxiety, shrooms can sometimes make these feelings worse and trigger an episode. You want to make sure you are in a good head mental space before taking psilocybin mushrooms.
- Find a buddy. If you know someone who is experienced with using shrooms, it can help give you peace of mind if they are with you when you use shrooms for the first time. They can help keep you calm should you have a bad trip. It is vital that your buddy not use shrooms when they stay with you, so they remain clear-headed.
- Choose a good time. Shrooms can take six hours or more to complete their cycle. Because you aren’t sure yet how you’ll react, you should make sure you take them when you have plenty of free time and don’t have to head to work a few hours after taking them.
- Be smart with your dosage. As we’ve mentioned, shrooms are quite potent, so you should take a low dose your first time using them. If you feel you can tolerate a higher amount next time, increase your dose slightly. Continue to do this each time you use them until you reach the effects that you want.
In a Nutshell
Psilocybin mushrooms, also called magic mushrooms or shrooms, are mushrooms that contain psilocybin, a powerful psychedelic compound. People have been ingesting mushrooms to experience their effects for thousands of years. And their popularity continues to increase today.
They offer a wide range of effects, depending on how much is taken, your experience, your weight, and more. But common effects include hallucinations, distorted sense of time, and euphoria.
There are many ways users can take shrooms, including eating them raw, using shroom edibles, and even using them to make tea. But, no matter how you take shrooms, be sure to know your limits. Start with a low dose and slowly increase it with each use as you feel comfortable.