Written and Fact Checked by: S. Zulfiqar
Apart from smoking, there are plenty of other ways to enjoy the goodness of cannabis. Whether it’s the pleasure you’re after or you’re looking to benefit from this amazing plant, you have come to the right place.
One of many ways to consume cannabis is to make super delicious weed gummies. The lovely little treats are loved by almost everyone and when they’re packed with additional nutritional values of THC, no one will turn them down. Although they can be pretty pricey to purchase from the local dispensary around the corner, there’s good news. By following simple steps, you can make your very own weed gummies.
However, before all this, we need to know what weed gummies are and what makes them so special. By the look of the mouth-watering bits, weed gummies look just like regular gummy snacks. Except that they contain the extra goodness of cannabis.
Let’s Look at the Pros of Making Gummies at Home
What are the benefits of creating your weed gummy worms at home? Well, marijuana-infused edibles have been a part of our history for thousands of years. They were mostly used for various medical purposes and conditions. Similarly, making your own at home may be more beneficial as compared to the ones brought from the store.
- Customized ratio: If you have both THC and CBD tinctures and are looking to mix things up, you’re thinking right. See if 1:1 (THC:CBD) works for you. If not, you can create your own thing by adding more THC and less CBD or even THC and CBD to find the right level to help you in the mornings.
- Long-lasting effects: For those who are looking to eat gummies to relax, this is for them. Weed gummy gems that are created at home may prove to be more helpful and relaxing than others. People who make and consume homemade gummies feel more relaxed. In fact, according to them, the effects last for up to 8 hours. Of course, the THC ratio plays a vital role in it.
- Get rid of the pain: The pain-relieving properties of weed are no secret. According to research published in the scientific journal Pain (2017), two-thirds of the patients reported that they feel much better after the use of medical cannabis. The relief from chronic pains and cannabis go hand in hand. No wonder cannabis is so popular these days.
- Better Sleep: Similarly, people who regularly consume weed whether by smoking or eating homemade gummies, are convinced it helps them in sleeping much better.
- Smoke-free mode: Lastly, if you are one of those people who like to benefit from the plant but are not a big fan of smoking, this article is for you. You have to make little-to-no efforts but get all the benefits of this magical plant. Plus, the satisfaction of making something using your own hands is unmatchable.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Making Weed Gummies at Home
This do-it-yourself guide will tell you all you need to know about making delicious weed gummies at home. And that too, without much hassle. With that said, we’re also aware that there are tons of recipes online that claim the same but the results, well, are kinda disappointing. The homemade weed gummies often end up extra soft at normal room temperature. They even melt in our hands, which is certainly not what we expect.
So what is the big secret to making the perfect weed gummies that look like they have just been bought from the store? The secret to that is a pro tip that is used by professionals. It’s time to talk about the art behind it so roll up your sleeves and get ready.
To make weed gummies at home, here’s the list of what you’ll need:
- Gelatine (unflavoured)
- CBD tincture
- THC tincture
- Along with a heating pan, a mixing bowl, a spoon, gummy molds, and a dropper.
Let’s get started:
- The skill of candy-making involves lots of sugar, of course. It is cooked until it melts. Make sure not to add anything to it yet, except for a bit of water may be (if needed). As the sugar cools down, it shall start to look a lot harder/crispier but will remain fragile. That’s where we add gelatine to it and the mixer will now turn spongy. Notice that it begins to look like gummies or even marshmallows. To make this more fun, you can add a bit of edible glitter to it.
- After that, we usually add a bit of oil (or fat) or butter to make it chewier. And that’s where the problem kicks off. The THC content in cannabis is already oil. Even the THCA diamonds are hard at first but they tend to turn to oil when heated. The excess oil does not mix well with the candy structure. That is why the homemade weed gummies end up being sticky, runny, or weepy.
- So how do we overcome this situation and make them as stretchy and room temperature-friendly as we want them to be? The key here is a process called ‘emulsification’, which by the way is already mentioned above. Therefore, to get the right balance, we add lecithin to the candy mixture while it’s being cooked. Both soy lecithin and sunflower lecithin can be put to use here.
- Without using the right emulsification ingredient, the weed gummies will become more of a jello-like dessert that needs to rest in the refrigerator. If that’s what you’re aiming to make, great! If not, you will need the right ingredient to do the job.
- Just pour the mixture into the mold and let it cool for a while. It’s important not to forget that the gummies will stay fresh for long only when they are kept in an airtight container, in the refrigerator. Also, make sure that they are away from the reach of children and pets.
That’s about it. Enjoy your very own, homemade weed gummy treats whenever you’re not in the mood for a smoky session. Pretty simple, right?
- Barrus D, Capogrooss K, Cates S et al. Tasty THC: Promises and Challenges of Cannabis Edibles, Methods Rep RTI Press. 2016 Nov; 2016: 10.3768/rtipress.2016.op.0035.1611. 10.3768/rtipress.2016.op.0035.1611
- Pend H, Shahidi F. Cannabis and Cannabis Edibles: A Review. J Agric Food Chem. 2021 Feb 17;69(6):1751-1774. doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.0c07472.