Cannabis chocolate combines two of the world’s favourite items: marijuana and chocolate. While these two things are amazing on their own, they can be even better when combined.
Weed users can find marijuana products, including cannabis chocolates, in stores and for sale in online dispensaries. But, users who are adept at baking may want to make their own cannabis chocolates.
The good news: Doing so is relatively easy.
What You’ll Need to Make Cannabis Chocolate
Making cannabis chocolate does not require a lot of unique equipment. Most of the time, you can use items found in the cupboard.
Before you begin your chocolate baking event, be sure to gather up everything you need, including:
- Your favourite, high-quality bud (you’ll want about 3-5 grams of it).
- Parchment paper
- A baking sheet
- 100 mg of chocolate, broken into small pieces (dark chocolate containing at least 70 percent cocoa is recommended)
- A glass bowl
- A saucepan
- Your chocolate mould (though an ice cube tray would work as well)
Once you gather your supplies, it’s time to get cooking!
6 Simple Steps to Making Cannabis Chocolate
1. Decarboxylate your marijuana buds. Tossing raw marijuana into your chocolate will leave you with ineffective weed and disappointing results. This step converts the THCA and CBDA in raw cannabis into their active forms: THC and CBD. To do this, grind your weed and spread it onto a baking sheet that is parchment paper. Place the bud into an oven heated to 115 degrees Celsius and bake for 30 minutes. Once it is done, set the dried-out weed aside.
Tip: When it’s ready, the buds should be dry and slightly toasted in colour.
2. Melt the chocolate by placing the broken pieces into a double-broiler or by microwaving it in a microwave-safe bowl.
3. Add in your cannabis. Slowly stir in your ground, decarboxylated cannabis to the melted chocolate. Mix it evenly so the cannabis is spread well throughout.
4. Get out your moulds and pour the chocolate mixture into them. Chocolate moulds can be purchased at many different stores and can come in different shapes. If you do not have a mould, you can use an ice cube tray or something similar. Once the moulds are full, tap them gently on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles.
5. Chill your chocolate by placing it inside the fridge to set. The amount of time this will take depends on the chocolate used and how thick your chocolate is, but it can run from just 10 minutes to a few hours. The chocolate should be firm before you take it out.
Once it has had a chance to chill, your cannabis chocolates are ready for you to enjoy!
Tips for Making Cannabis Chocolate
Although making cannabis chocolate is relatively straightforward, there are some steps you can take to ensure you get a quality product and even up your chocolate game.
- First, products matter. Choose high-quality chocolate to use to make your cannabis candies. A good rule of thumb: the fewer ingredients listed, the better it is.
- Consider tempering your chocolate for a professional finish. Tempering can be a bit tricky and take some time to get, so consider adding this step once you’ve mastered your recipe.
- Try adding in additional ingredients to create a special chocolate. Orange zest, chilli powder, and even nuts can all be added to your cannabis chocolate.
- Choose a marijuana strain that complements chocolate. Each cannabis strain has its own unique flavour, so make sure you choose one that pairs well with chocolate.
Best Marijuana Strains to Use When Making Cannabis Chocolate
There are well more than 1,000 cannabis strains out there, giving you plenty of options to use when making cannabis chocolate. To help you get started, consider using these strains:
- Choco Bud. This sativa-dominant flower boasts a THC level of 19 percent. It also has a sweet cacao aroma with caramel undertones, making it an excellent choice to pair with chocolate.
- Chocolope. Another sativa-dominant plant with high THC levels, Chocolope is known for its sweetness and chocolate aroma. It often causes users to get the munchies, which can be remedied with chocolate.
- Chocolate Mint OG. Add a little extra flavour to your marijuana candies with this indica-dominant strain. Chocolate Mint OG offers a nice chocolate flavour and mint and pine, making it a great addition to your chocolate creation.
The Benefits of Chocolate Cannabis
There are many reasons people find chocolate cannabis such an appealing option, besides the fact it just tastes good. Chocolate cannabis is:
- A healthier way to consume marijuana compared to smoking and vaping, which can irritate some people’s lungs.
- An easier way for people to manage their dosage. If you make your own chocolate, you can figure the amount of marijuana in each piece based on how much you used and how many pieces of chocolate you end up with. If you purchase your chocolate, each package will identify how much cannabis is in there.
- A discreet way to take marijuana. It is easy to pop a piece of chocolate into your mouth, no matter where you are. In contrast, smoking and vaping both have distinct smells that alert those around you that you are using marijuana.
There are many reasons people chose to use marijuana in chocolate form: the top reason often being the taste. Although chocolate marijuana products can be purchased online, some bakers may want to make their own.
We’ve listed simple steps to making your own cannabis chocolate here, but there are other recipes out there. Users can find a recipe for almost any type of chocolate they want to make. Just be sure to choose a cannabis strain that complements the flavour of chocolate, so you don’t end up with a disappointing product.
Finally, although you can certainly make your own cannabis chocolate, there are also products available for purchase online. This can save you time and hassle, allowing you to enjoy the product without going to all the work of baking it.