CBD and skincare have become a popular combination lately. Not only are people starting to focus more on their overall health (including their skin’s health), but they also are looking for more natural products to use in their everyday life.
This desire for natural solutions and to keep the skin looking its best is part of what has lead CBD and skincare products like lotions to grow in popularity.
While you can certainly find CBD-infused lotions, creams, and even exfoliants on the market, many people prefer to make their own. This allows them to control not only how much CBD is in the lotion but the ingredients used to make it.
CBD and Lotion: What Is It and Why Use It?
CBD lotion is simply a lotion that has been infused with CBD. You may also see CBD cream listed, which is generally just a thicker version of lotion.
CBD is a powerful compound that is said to offer many benefits. Many of these benefits are ideal for use on the skin. Here’s what CBD has to offer your skincare regimen:
- Some suggest that CBD offers anti-inflammatory effects. That means when applied to the skin, it may help calm redness and soothe irritation.
- It is claimed to be an antioxidant. Antioxidants do a lot to help protect our skin from damage caused by general aging as well as pollutants and UV rays. When CBD is in lotion, it may protect your skin whenever you apply it.
When you combine these properties with the benefits lotion offers (hydrating skin, etc.), it’s no wonder so many people have started to use CBD-infused lotions and creams.
The Benefits of Making Your Own CBD Lotion
Making your own CBD lotion allows you to control how much CBD is in each bottle. If you want a small amount, you can make your lotion with a lower dose. You can also easily add more if you don’t get the results you want with your initial batch.
In addition to allowing you to control your CBD amount, making your own CBD lotion also allows you to monitor the ingredients used in general. If you have sensitive skin, allergies, or even smell sensitivities, making your own CBD lotion enables you to accommodate that. You can use ingredients that work for you.
Finally, making your own CBD lotion may be a more economical choice. Purchasing a bottle of CBD oil to make your lotion may allow you to make more batches at a lower cost than buying a pre-made lotion.
How to Make CBD Lotion at Home
Are you ready to try making your own CBD lotion? It is easier than you may think.
First, you’ll need to get your ingredients and equipment.
- ½ cup of distilled water (for thinner lotion, add more: for more of a cream, use less)
- ¾ cup oil of your choice (coconut oil is recommended, but you could use shea butter, too)
- 1 ounce of beeswax (or soy wax if preferred)
- 3 grams of CBD isolate oil
- Essential oils (optional)
- Container to hold your final product
Now, to get started:
- Place your oil and beeswax in a pan and heat until the wax melts, ensuring you stir it well.
- Add in your CBD isolate over low heat. Stir well until it is fully incorporated.
- Remove the pan from heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Add in any essential oils you want to use (optional step).
- Slowly add in water until the lotion is at your desired consistency.
- Bottle it up in a sealed container once it has cooled enough to handle.
Essential oils are often added for scent and for the benefits they offer. If you want to use them, be sure to choose ones that will help you accomplish your goals. For example, if you have acne-prone skin, consider adding in a tea tree essential oil.
If you want to make a lotion to apply after working out when your muscles will likely be sore, you may want to consider using a peppermint or eucalyptus oil (or both). You can play around with your combinations until you create the perfect lotion for you.
Other CBD Products
If you find you are a big fan of CBD but don’t want to use it as a topical, there are many other CBD products on the market you can try. Unlike cannabis or THC products, you’ll get all the benefits CBD has to offer without the worry of getting high.
Some popular CBD products you may want to try include:
- CBD gummies
- CBD edibles like brownies and chocolate
- CBD oil (can be taken on its own or used in your topical)
Just remember, you should watch your dosage whenever you try new CBD products. Although CBD is generally safe to take, too much can lead to effects you weren’t anticipating. For example, you may start to feel drowsy when you were planning to feel energized.
Homemade CBD Lotion: Final Thoughts
CBD is a popular product in the cannabis world right now. It was originally most often found in edibles and oils. Today, CBD health and beauty products are quickly becoming more popular and more prominent as users discover the potential benefits of CBD when applied to the skin as a topical.
CBD lotions and creams can be purchased from online retailers. But, if you want to tailor your lotion to your preferences, you can also make your own. It’s easy and may even be more cost-effective for some people.
CBD topicals like lotion are fast-acting, so you’ll likely notice some effects right away. If you are using it to help soothe sore muscles, you should feel relief very quickly, if not near immediately. Using CBD lotion long-term can help keep your skin hydrated, protected, and looking its best.
Have some fun as you make your CBD lotion at home. You can experiment with different essential oils to create different scents and possibly even treat various issues.