Cooking with cannabis is one of the most popular trends in the cannabis world. What is your favourite summertime meal or snack? Chances are, there is a recipe out there that will allow you to add cannabis to it.
Though you can certainly purchase pre-made cannabis edibles, some people prefer to make their own and use cannabis in more hearty recipes.
Cannabis recipes allow users to ingest cannabis while ensuring they follow their dietary restrictions. Plus, the food it is made with can help mask the weed flavour some people find unappealing.
Below, we offer five cannabis recipes you should try this summer. Just be sure to keep these treats out of the hands of those who are underage.
1. Watermelon and Lime Cannabis Popsicles
We’ll start with a cool summertime treat: popsicles. Here is what you will need:
- 3 cups of seedless watermelon (cut up)
- 3 tablespoons of cannabis-infused coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Popsicle moulds
- Popsicle sticks
To make your popsicles:
- Add all your ingredients into a blender.
- Combine on high for at least one minute or until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into your popsicle moulds.
- Add in the popsicle sticks.
- Place in the freezer and allow to freeze for at least two to four hours.
- Remove and enjoy!
2. Cannabis Pesto Hummus
Hummus is a popular snack, perfect for pairing with pita chips and other products. Here’s what you’ll need to make this cannabis-infused version:
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of Canna-oil
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- Food processor or blender
To make your cannabis pesto hummus:
- Place all ingredients into your food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Place into a serving dish with some crackers or pita bread.
3. Cannabis, Watermelon, and Cucumber Summertime Salad
The perfect side dish for a cookout, this recipe is simple and uses popular summer fruits. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3½ cups of watermelon chunks (your choice between seedless and seeded)
- ½ sweet onion
- 2 small cucumbers (peeled and sliced)
- ½ cup fresh mint
- 2½ tablespoons of cannabis-infused olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cayenne pepper, optional (to taste)
Here’s how to make it:
- Put the watermelon, onion, cucumber, and mint into a large bowl and toss them together.
- Put the cannabis oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper (and cayenne pepper if you are using it) into a smaller bowl and whisk them all together.
- Pour the mixture from your smaller bowl over the mixture in the large bowl.
- Toss to coat.
- Carefully mix in your feta cheese.
- Chill in the fridge if desired and enjoy!
4. Cannabis-Infused BBQ Sauce
What is a summer cookout without barbeque sauce? Adding cannabis to it can add an extra kick. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- ¼ cup canna-oil
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Large pot
Here’s how to make your cannabis barbeque sauce:
- Place all your ingredients into a large pot on the stove.
- Stir to mix well.
- Heat until the mixture simmers and let it continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Bottle the mixture (keeping track of your serving sizes).
- Enjoy as a side or marinade for your meat.
5. Classic Cannabis-Infused Lemonade
We’ve given you recipes for treats, sides, and to use with your main course. But no cookout is complete without a beverage. And what says summer more than lemonade? Here’s what you will need to make this refreshing beverage with a dose of cannabis:
- 6-8 lemons (squeezed, they should make about 1/5 litre of lemon juice)
- 1.35 litres of cold water
- 200-250 grams of sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons of cannabis oil or tincture (lemon flavoured would go well with this recipe)
- Lemonade pitcher
- Juicer for your lemons
Here’s how to make it:
- Use your juicer to juice your lemons. Collect the liquid in a bowl or measuring cup.
- Mix your newly-squeezed lemon juice with the sugar and water in a glass pitcher.
- Stir well until all sugar is dissolved.
- Add in your cannabis oil or tincture.
- Mix well and chill in the fridge.
- Serve and enjoy!
Cannabis Dosage and Cooking
When cooking with cannabis products, it is important to know how much cannabis is in each serving so you can better anticipate the effects. To find the dosage for each recipe, you’ll need to:
- Figure out the total amount of cannabis used in the recipe.
- Divide that by the number of servings your recipe makes.
This number will be the approximate amount of cannabis in each serving of food. Then, make sure you stick to only eating or drinking one serving of your recipe so you don’t end up higher than you anticipated.
Cooking with cannabis is one of the newest crazes when it comes to using cannabis. Though cannabis edibles like baked goods and candies are on the market, cooking with cannabis allows people to add cannabis to their favourite meals and make heartier recipes.
Though we’ve highlighted five of our favourite cannabis recipes that are perfect for this summer, there are many more out there. Whatever your favourite summertime meal, snack, or beverage, there is likely a way to add cannabis to it.
As you cook, be sure to keep an eye on dosing and only eat or drink as much as you can comfortably tolerate so you don’t end up with a stronger high than you anticipated. Be sure you notify everyone who will eat your products so they know cannabis is in there and keep out reach of children.