CBD products are having a moment. It seems like there are CBD products available everywhere these days. They can be found in gas stations, stores, and everywhere in between. And one of the most popular CBD products: CBD gummies.
Though there are plenty of online marijuana retailers with CBD gummies in their inventory, users who are experts in the kitchen may wish to make their own products. Luckily, making CBD gummies is pretty simple, as long as you follow the recipes closely.
Below, we offer four different CBD gummy recipes you can try this month if homemade CBD gummies sound appealing to you.
What Are CBD Gummies?
So, what exactly are CBD gummies?
As their name suggests, CBD gummies are gummy candies (typically made with gelatin) that have been infused with CBD. This product is available in many different shapes and flavours, making it easy for people to find a gummy they’ll enjoy.
The Benefits of CBD Gummies
There are many reasons people choose to use CBD gummies and CBD in particular.
First, CBD is known for offering users many effects. Some believe that it is anti-inflammatory, so it can potentially reduce pain and inflammation in the body. It can also help calm anxiety and reduce stress. Overall, CBD can help people feel their best and focus on their day.
What makes CBD unique, however, is that it will not get users high. Another cannabinoid, THC, is the compound responsible for the high feelings most people associate with weed use. CBD offers all the benefits of marijuana without the high.
Gummies are also discreet. Smoking and vaping put off telltale smoke that most people can immediately recognize as a weed. But users can pop a weed gummy without the people around them even knowing, making it a discreet way for people to enjoy CBD.
Finally, CBD gummies are portable. If you need to travel, toss gummies in your bag and go. Other cannabis consumption methods, like dabs, require lots of equipment. This makes travelling with it difficult. CBD gummies are a great way to take CBD while you are on the go.
A Simple, Tasty CBD Recipe
Now that you know more about CBD, perhaps you are ready to start cooking. Our first recipe is simple to make and uses ingredients you may already have on hand.
To make this CBD gummy recipe, you will need:
- 1 cup of 100 percent fruit juice. Choose a flavour you enjoy, as this will flavour your gummies.
- 2 tablespoons of gelatin.
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey
- 2 ml of CBD oil tincture.
- Silicone moulds
- 1 medium saucepan
- A baking sheet
- 1 pitcher
Once you have your ingredients and supplies, let’s get started.
- Pour the fruit juice into your saucepan and heat it over medium heat. You want to bring the juice to a gentle simmer.
- Once the juice is simmering, turn off the heat.
- Whisk in the gelatin and honey, stirring for about a minute until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Transfer your mixture into a pitcher.
- Whisk in the CBD oil tincture.
- Pour the mixture into your moulds.
- Place the moulds on a baking sheet and set them in the freezer to rest (refrigerator will work too).
- Allow the moulds to set for about 30 minutes (a little longer if you are using the fridge).
- Remove the gummies from the moulds.
Once your gummies are made, store them in the fridge in a sealed container. They should last for up to 10 days.
Make Healthy CBD Gummies
Are you looking to make CBD gummies that contain whole ingredients and no added sugar? The recipe below is the one for you.
To make these gummies, you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups of pureed fruit (you can buy it or make it yourself)
- 1 1/12 cups of water or 100% juice (make sure the flavour compliments your fruit)
- 1/2 cup unflavoured gelatin
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 mL of CBD oil
- 1 saucepan
Once you have your ingredients, start cooking.
- If you are pureeing your own fruit, do so using a food processor or blender. Mix it until it is smooth.
- Add water or juice to a saucepan (no heat yet)
- Evenly sprinkle your gelatin over the liquid. Do NOT stir it in—allow it to sit for two minutes.
- Once the two minutes are up, place the saucepan over medium-low heat. Your mixture will be quite thick.
- Allow the heat to liquefy the mixture. Once it is a liquid consistency, gently stir the mixture until it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit (use your thermometer).
- Turn off the heat.
- Pour the fruit puree into the liquid gelatin, whisking well until well blended.
- Add the lemon juice and CBD oil to the mixture and stir until well combined.
- Fill your moulds with the mixture.
- Place your moulds in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Carefully pop the gummies out of the mould.
- Let them air dry for 24 hours.
These gummies can also be stored in the fridge or freezer in an air-tight container.
Make Vegan CBD Gummies
On a vegan diet? You can still make CBD gummies that meet this dietary requirement. To make vegan CBD gummies, you will need:
- 1 cup of 100% fruit juice or fruit puree
- 1/4 cup of cold water
- 1 teaspoon of Agar Agar Powder
- 1 Tablespoon of CBD tincture
- Sweetener (to taste)
- Silicone moulds (though ice cube trays could also work in a pinch)
- A medium saucepan
- Small dish
- Digital thermometer
- Powdered sugar
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients and supplies, follow the steps below.
- Heat your fruit juice (or puree) in your pan over medium-high heat.
- In a separate dish, mix one teaspoon of Agar Agar with the cold water, stirring until it is completely dissolved.
- Once the Agar Agar is dissolved, and the fruit juice is at a low boil, slowly add in the mixture from your dish, constantly stirring for three minutes. You can add extra sweetener at this time if you wish.
- Once the three minutes are up, remove the mixture from heat and allow it to cool slightly (the mixture should be below 350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Add your CBD tincture, mixing thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into your moulds.
- Let the moulds sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate for another 20 minutes.
- Remove your gummies from the moulds and then toss in powdered sugar to keep them from sticking together.
You should store these gummies in an air-tight container for up to three weeks.
Make Keto, Low Carb CBD Gummies
Looking for a Keto-friendly and low-carb way to enjoy your CBD gummies? This recipe will do just the trick. Plus, it’s also one of the easiest recipes, requiring just six steps.
To make Keto, Low-Carb CBD gummies, you will need:
- 0.3 oz packet of sugar-free Jell-O
- 0.25 oz packet of powdered, unflavoured gelatin
- 1/4 cup of water (1/4 cup will fill about 50 moulds)
- CBD oil or tincture (few drops)
- A Silicon mould
- A saucepan
- A dropper
Once you have your ingredients, follow the steps below to make your gummies.
- Add the Jell-O, gelatin, and water to your saucepan and place the pan over low heat.
- Cook until the crystals have dissolved.
- Remove your mixture from heat and add CBD oil or tincture.
- Use your dropper to transfer the mixture from the pan to your mould.
- Place your moulds in the fridge for about 30 minutes or until they are set.
- Remove from the moulds and enjoy your sweet treat.
A Note on Flavours
Finally, most CBD gummy recipes require the use of Jell-O, gelatin, fruit, or juice of some kind. CBD oils and tinctures can also come in a variety of flavours.
When making homemade CBD gummies, you’ll want to make sure all the flavours you choose to use in your recipe complement each other and are ones you enjoy. You can also buy unflavoured CBD oil so that its taste won’t change the taste of your gummies.
As you become more comfortable making your own CBD gummies, you can start to experiment with different flavours, creating truly custom gummies that you enjoy.
Dosing and Homemade CBD Gummies
CBD gummies are popular because they allow users to manage the amount of CBD they are taking since each gummy has a pre-dosed amount. When you are making homemade CBD gummies, you’ll want to know how much CBD is in each one to help you anticipate the effects it will provide you.
When it comes to figuring out your CBD dose for homemade gummies, you’ll need to do some math, so get out your calculator.
Figure out how much CBD oil or tincture you use to make your gummies, then divide that by the total number of gummies your recipe made. This number will tell you the average amount of CBD contained in each gummy.
It is also important to remember that CBD gummies do not offer immediate effects. They need to be digested by the body. Be sure to allow CBD gummies about 30 minutes to take effect before deciding if you feel comfortable taking more or not.
Label Your Gummies Before Storing
It will take a while to finish up a batch of CBD gummies, making it necessary to store them. Most commonly, homemade CBD gummies should be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge and can last anywhere between five to 10 days (even longer in the freezer).
While storing your gummies correctly is important, it is also important to label the container with:
- What is in the container.
- The date the gummies were made.
- The approximate amount of CBD in each.
This will help you remember how many to eat at a time and help you keep track of when it may be time to toss leftover gummies in the trash.
Gummies are also appealing to children and adults alike. If you have young ones in the house, make sure you store your gummies where they cannot get them. It can be difficult for kids (and, let’s face it, even adults) to resist the call of gummies in general. Look into child-proof storage containers for an added layer of protection.
Beyond CBD Gummies
CBD gummies are not the only CBD product on the market. Users can also purchase popular items like:
- CBD edibles. These usually come in as baked goods like cookies and brownies and sweets like chocolate and even caramel.
- CBD capsules. This is essentially CBD in pill form. Like gummies, they offer a discreet way for users to take CBD, and they have a long shelf life.
- CBD drinks. A relatively new product, CBD drink mixes are quickly growing in popularity. Find a flavour you like and mix these into your favourite beverage.
Interested in trying multiple CBD products? Browse CBD variety packs that contain a variety of CBD products so users can explore and find their favourite.
Make the next four weeks the weeks of CBD gummies. You’re sure to find a recipe that meets your dietary needs and flavour preferences, as well as your baking and cooking skill level.
But, if making your own CBD gummies does not sound like something you want to try, you can still buy them. Online retailers offer gummies in many different flavours and shapes that can meet different diets. Buying online can save you time, but making your own can allow you the freedom to experiment with your flavours.
As always, when consuming CBD (or any marijuana product), it is essential to know your limits. Consuming too much CBD can lead to feelings of dizziness, headaches, and more. Know the approximate amount of CBD in each gummy and only eat what you can handle.